Heather was called to the Bar in 2011 and practises primarily in planning and compulsory purchase, environmental and EU law. She’s listed as one of the top five planning juniors in the Planning Law Survey 2020 and is also ranked in both Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500.
In addition to running Planning Law Tea Break, Heather is an Assistant Editor of the Encyclopedia of Planning Law and Practice, for which she focuses on heritage matters.
Away from law, Heather can frequently be found at the theatre, escaping back to Wales to walk up a mountain, attempting to play the viola, or watching rugby (she used to play in the second row).
Her professional experience includes:
- Acting for both developers and local planning authorities on several central London tall building schemes
- Advising Gatwick Airport on its proposed DCO to bring its existing standby runway into routine use
- Defending two judicial review challenges to the 2019 NPPF for MHCLG
- Defending six judicial review challenges to the Airports NPS (which provides policy support for a third runway at Heathrow) for the Secretary of State for Transport
- Appearing at the London Plan examination (for the London Borough of Enfield) and for site promoters at the Guildford, Wealden, Tandridge and Welwyn Hatfield Local Plans
- Advising the acquiring authority on a CPO for a £29.4m road scheme (sole counsel) and acting for the acquiring authority on both the Tunbridge Wells Borough Council (Calverley Square) CPO (theatre, civic centre and office scheme) and the London Borough of Enfield (Alma Estate Regeneration) CPO
- Acting for both appellants and local planning authorities on major housing schemes including Wisley Airfield, Guildford (2,000 units); Peel Hall, Warrington (1,200 units); and two sustainable urban extensions in Northampton
- Retail inquiry work (for both appellants and local planning authorities)
- Acting for retirement home providers on appeal
- High level judicial review and statutory challenge court work, including numerous appearances before the Court of Appeal as sole counsel
For further details please see http://www.landmarkchambers.co.uk/people/heather-sargent/